Go Back   Indotekken - Komunitas Fighting Game Indonesia > Komunitas Tekken > NEWS & Chit Chat Cafe

Old 21-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
XtiaN
Indotekken.com

Default [GUIDE] How To Be Good At Tekken (and other fighting games)

Halo all,

Berikut ini adalah guide yang bagus dan worth untuk dibaca. Dijelaskan point per point step-step untuk bermain game fighting Tekken dan lainnya yang bagus, ideal dan practical.

Quote:
How To Be Good At Tekken (and other fighting games)

Iím really good at fighting games.

Like, REALLY good. Iíve been playing fighters since I was 11 years old, when I first got Tekken 2 on PS1, and started playing competitively at the arcade when I was 15 years old. At the time of writing, Iím 29, so itís been 14 years.

Still, some people have played for longer, and havenít achieved the success and glory that I have. Note: Sarcasm.

The question is, how did I do it? And why should you care?
Well, thanks to the Survey and $50 amazon gift card giveaway, Iíve discovered that lots of you peeps care, and want to know the secret to my success. So here it is.

By Lost Tyrant on DeviantArt

How To Be Good At Tekken: The Basics

Basically, fighting games are an integral part of my life, and have also defined who I am as a person. Iíve learned so much through fighting games about patience, reading other people, control, momentum, and fun. As I mentioned before, itís very similar stuff to whatís needed to meet women.

Iíve distilled my fighting game prowess into a couple of rules that I follow. Most of these will involve Tekken examples, but Iíve used them to be decent at UMVC3, and pretty good at SF4, Injustice, and Kof14.
Here they are:

1. Donít take low tiers.

Seriously, donít do it. You want to win, right? Take someone whoís at least mid tier, and can compete with the high tier characters that everyone and their mother is spamming. For example, if youíre playing Injustice right now, youíd better be playing someone that can go toe-to-toe with Superman and Black Adam, or youíre not getting anywhere near a win.
However, when selecting your character, donít believe the preliminary tier lists. If a character is considered low, itís possible that s(h)e hasnít been explored enough, and youíll be the one to find out what makes them amazing. A good example of this is ChrisG and Morrigan in UMVC3. She was considered garbage for ages, and is now the best character in the game, hands down, thanks to one guy putting her on the map.
In my case, I used to play Yoshimitsu in Tekken 3, and then Tekken Tag, when he was amazing. In all subsequent games, he was made progressively worse, and although I tried valiantly to win with him, it was just too difficult. I finally abandoned him in Tekken 6, switching to Baek and Miguel, and all of a sudden won every major in Canada for a year.
Thankfully, heís a decent mid tier in Tekken Tag 2, so Iím playing him again!

Hereís an old match of me playing low tier Yoshi vs Justin Wong Feng in Tekken 5: DR

2. Whatís my mix up?

Whatever the game, you need to know how to put pressure on your opponent. If youíre playing Tekken, the easiest example of this is Mishimas. The basic mixup is sweep (low), a safe mid or launcher mid, and Electric Wind God Fist for pressure and frame traps. It doesnít get much simpler than that.

With other characters, itís more complicated. Do you want to do frame traps, and get your opponent on counter? Is your mixup more about putting your opponent in a 50/50 situation where he has to guess where to block? This is up to you to find out.
If you donít know your mixup, you canít win at Tekken.

3. How do I take control of this match?
When you lose a round, how do you come back? First, assess if you were being proactive or reactive. Were you putting pressure on your opponent? Or was he making you play his game, and putting you on the defensive?
Once you figure that out, you need to put a stop to it. If heís constantly pressuring you, punish him for it. If all he does is block and punish, play super safe, and grab a lot. If you feel his movement is weak, do a tiny bit of damage to him, then run away and make him come to you.
Take control of the momentum. Itís your game, not his.

4. Practice ALL your combos
You need to know the combos that you get with each of your launchers. Start with the basic launchers, and work out the max damage. Then move on to counter hit launchers, wall combos, wall break/ground break combos, and finish with guaranteed damage.

The worst thing that can happen in a match is you land a hit on your opponent where you can kill him, but youíre unprepared because you donít remember a combo. Donít be that guy. Use this checklist to make sure you have them all:
-regular launchers
-CH moves
-wall combos
-wall break
-ground break
-guaranteed damage

5. Create a flowchart
Once Iíve mastered all the combos, I look at the regular hits. I specifically look for 3 types of moves: what knocks my opponent down, what gives me frame advantage, and what puts my opponent in an awkward position where I can dodge his move and punish. I then figure out all the options that spring from these hits.

For example, I do move A. Three things can happen:
It gets blocked, and Iím on slight negative frames. I know I can then do sidestep, or backdash, but I canít attack.
It lands, and knocks down opponent. I know can do move B to hit grounded, move C that catches backroll or quick getup.
It lands on CH, and juggles. Thanks to the previous point, I know the juggle.
See? Flowchart. Iíll expound more on this in a future article, itís a really important point.

6. Get yourself an archnemesis
This oneís tricky. You need to find a player whoís either better than you, or equally strong, and practice against them until you beat their ass down. Having one archnemesis gives you a goal to strive for, and also an opponent worthy of your efforts.

Additionally, if heís good, heíll learn all the perfect strategies to beat your characters, and wonít let you get away with unsafe moves or shenanigan strategies. This is great, because no matter who you play against at a tournament, theyíre never going to know how to beat you as well as your archnemesis, meaning youíll always feel like the match is a bit easier.
Itís similar to when I was training in Wing Chun, and would get punched a lot. I always knew that no matter how hard I would get hit if I got into a fight, it would never be as bad as my training partner punching me full force square in the face because I lowered my guard for a fraction of a second.

At Tekken, my archnemesis is a player by the name of Howling. He learned all the punishes for my characters, and made sure I felt pain every time he blocked something unsafe. That led to me altering my game, and become a safer, better player overall, so when I played in tournaments, I felt nearly no pressure from opponents.

Hereís a match from January of me vs Howling. His controller broke while playing, so he didnít do quite as well as he should have.

7. Practice movement
This one isnít as important for a game like Street Fighter, where movement is restricted to jump, dash, or walk, but itís the single most important skill to learn at Tekken or UMVC3. I always explain it to n00bs like this: in Tekken, if your movement sucks, youíll be subjected to your opponentís mixups all the time.

If, however, your movement is good, you can backdash and sidestep forever, and never actually interact with your opponentís mixup. Youíll also be able to go in and out of his range as you please, putting you firmly in control of the match. He canít pressure you if he canít touch you.
Hereís a tournament match of me and Neorussell of Toronto Top Tiers. Watch the first game, where I basically spaced out his team for most of the rounds, and forced him to change characters. You want to be good at Tekken? Move like this.

8. Learn to block
Last but most certainly not least, the skill that any fighting gamer worth his salt must have, is the ability to block properly.

As Howling puts it, sometimes you just gotta ďblock like a manĒ. If you donít, you die. So, learn to defend properly against your opponentsí mixups, by knowing which moves are mid, low and high. In 2D games, learn to block on wakeup, so you donít eat random moves by pressing buttons.

Having played Injustice online for the last few weeks, Iíve realized that many players at that game tend to wake up with an attack constantly, rather than just getting up and blocking. This has led to me stealing tons of victories, solely on my ability to knock them down, wait for a an unsafe wakeup move, and punish.

Trust me, when youíre not sure of what to do, choose block. Itís the safest option.

Well folks, hopefully this little guide made sense and gave you some insight into how a top fighting game player runs his game. There are many other points I havenít touched upon, like punishing, frame traps, conditioning, and so on. Iíll cover these in future articles.
source
XtiaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
XtiaN
Indotekken.com

Taktik Level Tinggi melalui Diagram FlowChart Tekken
=================================
Ada banyak taktik dalam bermain Tekken. Berbagai cara bisa didapatkan untuk bisa solid dan rutin menjadi juara. Salah satu hal yang penting ada konsistensi dan mental yang stabil ketika bermain secara competitive serius. Untuk bisa seperti itu kita perlu juga persiapan dalam membuat catata diagram (Flow Chart) karakter kita.

Bagaimanakah caranya?

Yuk kita baca artikel ini:

How To Build A Tekken Flowchart

After the popular article I wrote on How To Be Good At Tekken, I’ve had many players email and message me asking how to build a Tekken Flowchart. I responded to a few, and decided to compile the info into a post and share it with all of you.
Why do I need a Tekken Flowchart?

My favorite part of playing Tekken is how open-ended the game is. There’s no one way to play it: you can turtle, you can space, you can be aggressive, and you can be a mix of those elements. This is also what makes the game difficult: given how many play styles are available, it’s tricky to cover all the options, and predict how your opponent is going to play.

The game is also very momentum based. I always like to say that the player with the most confidence is probably going to win.
This is where the Tekken Flowchart comes in. A flowchart always makes you confident and secure, because you always have a plan.
Why are flowcharts so important though?

There are three main reasons.

First, if you put your opponent in a certain situation that could be beneficial to you, you want to know all your options so you take maximum advantage of the situation. For instance, if you get a knockdown where he’s face down, head towards you, you want to know which moves you have, and which of your opponent’s escape options they cover.
Then you won’t hesitate, you’ll just choose one option and go with it. This speed of thought will also keep the pressure up, and won’t let your opponent get away.

Second, a Tekken Flowchart is strong when you run out of ideas, or are in a high pressure situation, where your mind goes blank. For example, if you’re in a tournament, you’re going to miss combos and such because of the stress. You may even start to panic, and wonder what to do.
At that point, you run a flowchart, by trying to land a flowchart starter, and then move into autopilot. All of a sudden, your opponent is doing all the thinking, when all you’re really doing is going through motions you’ve rehearsed before. You’ll relax, feel less pressure, and free your mind up to start thinking about other things during the match.

Third, knowing all the options in flowchart situations means you’ll be able to focus 100% on the mixup, and how to break your opponent. The mental pressure is diverted from you and lands squarely upon your opponent’s shoulders.
Building A Tekken Flowchart

The first step to building a Tekken flowchart is to find a flowchart starter. To do this, make a list of all your character’s moves that do one of the following:
-knock down on hit or counterhit. Example: Armor King’s f+2,1
-give you large amounts of frame advantage on block/hit. Example: Lili’s f,f+3
-put opponent in an awkward position where you can dodge his move and punish. Example: Yoshi’s 3~4

Next, for each of those, make a list of all the opponent’s options.
If he’s standing, usually he can:
-sidestep
-block
-backdash
-crouch
-press a button

If he’s knocked down, usually he can:
-stay down
-get up straight
-backroll
-sideroll
-get up kick low
-get up kick mid

Phew. That was long.

Finally, the most important stage, you need to figure out which moves of yours will beat out these options, by going into practice mode (see video below). Remember, it’s better to find moves that cover multiple options, so you don’t have to guess as much.
Let’s take an example of each kind of flowchart to make them more concrete. I’m going to use Armor King in all examples, because he has all three, and his moves are easily recognizable.
Example 1: The Knockdown

With Armor King, an easy knockdown flowchart starter is f+2,1 on hit or CH. It’s a strong mid that knocks down on any hit, but is very punishable (opponent can crouch and launch the second hit), so only use it to whiff punish, or if you’re SURE your opponent is going to eat it.
So, f+2.1. The opponent gets knocked down. The flowchart begins. My next move is:

-3+4. It beats most get up options, including kicks, get up straight, and tag. If the opponent does one of those options, he gets floated, and I followup with BT d+2, crouch cancel d+2 B! into a juggle. If he stays down, it does ground damage, and he enters the next flowchart, where he’s at Armor King’s feet.
or
-Sidewalk. This will avoid the Tag Crash if your opponent has rage, and you can juggle him in the back for crazy damage.
or
-I do dash 3+4. It beats the backroll option, and leads to the same juggle as before.

Here’s a brief video of how it works: you’ll notice the 3+4 beats most options, and I make an adjustment for the backroll with a dash, because it whiffs.

Basically, for you to create something similar, you would need to do what I did, and go through each escape option in practice mode, then come up with a creative solution for every one.
Example 2: The Frame Trap

The Frame Trap is one of the most important setups in Tekken. It’s a bit complex and mathematical, but I’ll try to break it down.

To start a frame trap, your opponent either blocks a move, or eats a move, that puts you on plus frames. This is the number of frames that’s added to your opponent’s next move. You follow up the plus frames with a move that’s quicker than your opponent’s fastest option (their fastest is usually a 10-frame jab).

Example: Armor King lands f,f,n,2.
Armor King gets +6.

If the opponent uses a 10-frame jab afterwards, it will take his 10-frame jab 16 frames to come out. Why? Because Armor King is at +6.
Simple math: 10frame jab + AK 6 frame advantage = 16 frames.
This means that Armor King can do any move that’s 15 frames or less, and his opponent still can’t cut through. That includes slow mids, and grabs.
So the flowchart here is to take advantage of the frame advantage. You want to either continue with another move that gives you plus frames, or you want to start a mixup, by incorporating grabs, mids, and lows.
Watch the following videos to see it in action.
f,f,n,2 frame trap part 1
f,f,n,2 frame trap part 2
Example 3: The Weird Dodgy Moves

This option is the most complex and difficult one to pull off. It relies on spacing, predicting your opponent’s next move, and often a high risk/high reward gamble on your part.

The flowchart starter is a move that puts the opponent in an awkward position. Your options then all involve Sidestepping or Backdashing your opponent’s next move out of this awkward situation. Once you’ve trained your opponent to do nothing, you can just do the flowchart starter again, and put him back into your mixup.

With Armor King, the prime example is d+2. When the opponent blocks d+2, you’re at -2, and you’re both in full crouch. If you both mash a WS+4, the fastest option, they’ll win, due to your negative frames.
What you want to do then, is do a d+2 at max range.This will allow you to move, and avoid whatever button the opponent presses. This is where the prediction comes in.

If the opponent does a ws+4, you can backdash and Dark Upper as a whiff punish. If the opponent does nothing, you do another d+2, and put them back in the same mixup.

However, certain characters like Lars have a WS+2 that goes really far, and catches Armor King’s backdash. In this case, you need to sidestep and whiff punish. Beware! It’s risky, because there is no blocking during a sidestep. If the opponent anticipates which direction you’re going, they can launch punish you for it.
The End… or the Beginning?

That’s all I’ve got for you today folks. Be sure to go into practice mode and try some of these options out. Remember, a flowchart isn’t the only solution to Tekken. There are many other factors, including confidence, tempo, spacing, and mind games.
A flowchart is just a great place to start, and will make all other options easier.

source

Last edited by XtiaN : 21-09-2013 at 12:50 PM.
XtiaN is offline   Reply With Quote
;